Chapelle du Chatelard

Chapelle du Chatelard image1Chapelle du Chatelard image2Chapelle du Chatelard image3
1 / 3


Pretty little chapel at the top of Le Chatelard overlooking the village of Bellevaux.
Letters between Abbot Sache (Bellevaux priest from 1833 to 1847) and Monseigneur Rey (then Bishop of Annecy) discuss the planning of a chapel to overlook the valley from the top of Le Châtelard in 1841. However, the townspeople of Vallon and Bellevaux couldn't agree as both wanted the chapel to stand on their land. A battle ensued. Legend has it that an angry Bellevaux local kicked the priest's bottom. Divine retribution saw him lose the use of his leg. No sooner than 40 years later, in 1880, Jean Cornier from L'Ermont built this little chapel dedicated to Our Lady of Purgatory.


Free of charge
Le Chatelard, 74470, Bellevaux
All year round: open daily.